Adventure and Tours from Placencia ...
Three Iguanas Villa can arrange water-based adventures guided by certified boat captains, and dive masters or land-based tours guided by licensed Tour Operators and Certified Tours Guides. Our sister company is DTOURZ: www.placenciadtourz.com
1. Snorkelling - Belize snorkelling is world reknown for the Belize Barrier Reef, a Unesco World Heritage Site, crystal clear water, dolphins, Manta rays, Manatees and an abundance of colorful reef fish or, closer to the Villa, the fringing reefs of many nearby cayes. Go for a half day at one of the nearby cayes or go farther out to the reef and make a full day of it – many guides, dive masters and tour operators can take you.
2. Diving - Belize scuba diving is also world reknown because of the barrier reef that is the second longest in the world and stretches the length of the country. Again the diving is great at the barrier reef or the many walls and coral heads that surround the nearby cayes. Whether you are experienced or just getting your Open Water Diver credentials the PADI licensed dive masters and tour operators can ensure a superb dive experience. Placencia is one of the best places in the world to dive with the giant whale sharks, the largest fish in the seas. Around the full moon in March, April, May and occasionally June, thousands of cubera snapper gather off Placencia to spawn. The whale sharks come to dine on this rich fare of caviar and divers can get very close to them – truly an unforgettable experience.
3. Fishing - Placencia was a fishing village before tourism became the main industry. Fishing here is good and the guides have generations of local knowledge, know their fishing and can ensure a good day’s catch. Placencia has some very good trolling around the cayes off-shore, near the reef or outside the reef. Book a day’s fishing and catch your evening supper.
4. Fly Fishing – Placencia is one of the few places in the world where you can get a Grand Slam of fly-fishing in one day by catching tarpon, bonefish, permit and snook. The local guides know the best places for each species. Some think Placencia has the best bonefishing in the country.
5. Monkey River - Beautiful River and Jungle tour combination are a must see when you come to Placencia. Go by boat to the Monkey River village and up the river where you pass crocodiles, iguana, birds and howler monkeys in the trees. Then off to a jungle hike and lunch, this is an ideal adventure/nature tour. Watch manatees on the way back
6. Dolphin and Manatee Watching - These tours are either half day or full day, where you get to see the manatees which are abundant in Placencia Lagoon. Then go out to sea to find a dolphin parade. You might even get to swim with the dolphins in the crystal clear water.
7. Sailing – Placencia is the center for sailing in southern Belize. You can hire a captain and rent a charter for a one day trip or for several days. Experienced sailors can charter a boat and captain it themselves. From small sail boats to Catamarans to Yachts we can get you on the sea.
8. Sea kayaking and Canoeing – Paddle away from the Villa’s dock and go canoeing or kayaking on the Placencia lagoon where you can see the manatees, birds, and other wildlife as well as the rich and diverse plant life. Authentic dories, as the native dugout canoes are called, are available at the Villa or you can rent modern sea-kayaks at the shops.
9. River Kayaking - Kayak from the Placencia lagoon to the Caribbean sea and enjoy the adventure of vigour and excitement as the sea waves pick up; OR go on a day trip of white water kayaking in Cayo District.
10. Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary – The most popular land adventure from Placencia is a tour of the Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary. You’ll get a first-hand experience of the rich Central America rainforest eco-system. Locals call it the "Jaguar Reserve," but jaguars are elusive and sightings are rare although you will see signs that they are there – maybe watching you. The licensed tour guides will share their extensive knowledge of the bird and wildlife and flora of the park. Many guests combine the Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary with river and cave tubing and lunch and frolicking by the waterfall.
11. Cave Tubing - Cave tubing has been dubbed the best shore/land excursion in Belize and rightfully so - it's full of fun and excitement and perfect for all ages. Float through crystallite caves with blue green flowing water while examining the stalactite and stalagmite formations within the caves - truly memorable.
12. The Belize Zoo is the best place to see jaguar and other wildlife in their natural habitat. The Zoo started as a place where injured animals could recover and rehabilitation is still part of its mission. Dubbed the "best little zoo in the world," it is definitely worth a 2-3 hour visit.
13. Cave Exploration - Belize is blessed with a variety of limestone caves, some of which were inhabited by the Mayan people. Today, in some caves you can find artifacts and remnants of the Mayan civilization and in others blue green water and other crystallite formations of stalagmites and stalactites.
14. Zip lining & Rappelling - Are you ready for the adventure of your life? Do you like extreme adventure? - then zip lining through the jungle tree tops and rappelling are for you.
15 ATV Jungle Tour - Ride ATVs over a perfect 4 wheeler trail in the jungle to experience thrills like never before.
16. Horse Back Riding - Try horseback riding tours at little bill hill or Outback on the hummingbird highway. You can ride horses through pristine jungle and savannahs and then cool off with a swim.
17. Nim Li Punit and Lubaantun Mayan Ruins - Explore the Mayan ruins of the South and begin to understand the Mayan culture. There are a large number of indigenous Mayan communities in this area. A tour to the ruins of the south offers the opportunity to interact with these communities and the chance to carry home an experience you cannot find in a store.
18. Xunantunich/Cahal Pech Mayan Ruins - Xunantunich was a major Mayan ceremonial center during the Classic Period. It is located in the village of San Jose Succotz where a hand-cranked ferry is used to cross the Mopan River. Cahal Pech was another great Mayan ceremonial center and includes pyramid temples, palaces, and a ball court, five stelae and an altar. Some major buildings were roofed with the Maya vault, some apparently not.
19. Tikal Guatemala Overnight - Guatemala boasts the most majestic of all the Mayan sites, Tikal. Take an overnight all inclusive tour to Tikal and Flores in Guatemala, where you tour the mighty Tikal Temples and Guatemalan country. Package includes full tour and accommodation for overnight stay. This is a must see if you are going to be in Belize for more than 10 nights
20. Relax and Enjoy Three Iguanas Villa - sip a drink on the deck for land-based adventure and swim in the plunge pool for water-based adventure!